Search This Blog

24.1.15

Book Review: April Raintree by Beatrice Culleton

April Raintree- Beatrice Culleton
Summary According to Goodreads: The story of two Metis sisters growing up in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Removed from their family at an early age, the sisters are raised in separate foster homes.

My thoughts: I had to read this book for my English class. I expected this novel to be what a lot of required- reading books are like: Boring. Not the kind of boring like watching paint dry or not knowing how to spend a summer. I thought it would be the kind of boring that just makes you want to procrastinate reading this book for so long to look up a summary and the ending of this book online just to write the required essay. 

This book was not what I expected it to be. It was a heartfelt tale of two sisters; April and Cheryl, taken away from home at a very young age, and be mistreated in foster homes.


In the beginning, It was easy to tell what kind of "medicine" their parents and every other adult in the neighbourhood was taking. But you could still tell April was happy. Once the girls were taken from their parents, we were still able to know what April felt, The reader also knows how Cheryl feels through her letters sent to April during her stay at the Dions.

In the middle portion of the book, bad events start to happen. I won't spoil them for you, but just know that if you don't like when parents mistreat children, it will piss you off. It was so upsetting though, the events that happened to April when she was just a child.

In the end, the story seems a bit rushed. you don't really get the feel for how April felt after the sad event in her life.

I thought that the author did a wonderful job writing this story. The characters were so realistic and sometimes relatable. I do think that students should read this book. It covers many topics, the biggest one being discrimination. The discrimination in this novel was harsh and makes you realize that words and actions really do hurt.

For me, I do think this book lacked some things, But I still thought that it was deserving of my chosen rating.
My rating:
- Adelia


No comments:

Post a Comment